Teacher in Charge:Recommended Prior Learning
To be accepted for this course students must have earned NCEA Level 1.
Level 2 Legal Studies enables students to:
• understand the need for laws and recognise the constant pressure of law in their lives and an understanding of its role in society.
• relate and apply knowledge of the law to their own lives.
• examine the relationships between law and the values and goals of society.
• develop knowledge of some of their rights and obligations under criminal and civil law.
• describe the need for the law to accommodate differing viewpoints.
Legal Studies are helpful for careers such as a police officer, corrections officer, lawyer, legal clerk, etc.Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
These students will hopefully be able to visit a prison facility, a courthouse, and a police station as part of their course. This is likely to incur a small expense.
Please note that courses will go ahead only if student numbers, staffing, and timetabling allow it. Where a subject is oversubscribed, and there are insufficient numbers or resources to create an extra class, a ballot system may be applied.
The Board of Trustees has again asked to opt into the Ministry of Education donation scheme. Doing so resulted in the ability to waive student fee donations. Kaiapoi High School aims to deliver quality educational courses over and above those that which is funded by the Ministry. It is likely the School will opt into the donation scheme for 2023, however parental contribution for the costs of trips and activities where participation is optional, and/or components not covered by the Government grant, may be requested. We appreciate the financial support our families make to the School.