Level 1 Health Education
Teacher in Charge: Mr P. McAllister
This course offers students the opportunity to build on their knowledge gained in Years 9 & 10 of Health Education and to work towards NCEA credits. Students will have the opportunity to be assessed against Achievement Standards, which will involve five different standards.
This course focuses on Level 6 of the Health and Physical Education Curriculum.
What is taught in courses varies from year to year. This course could include:
During this course students will learn to:
1. Take action to enhance an aspect of wellbeing.
2. Demonstrate understanding of interpersonal skills used to enhance relationships.
3. Demonstrate understanding of strategies for promoting positive sexuality.
4. Demonstrate understanding of ways in which wellbeing can change and strategies to support wellbeing.
5. Demonstrate understanding of issues to make health-enhancing decisions in drug-related situations (external)
Recommended Prior Learning
This course has no prerequisites; open entry to all.
This course is eligible for subject endorsement.
Total Credits Available: 20 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 4 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 16 credits.
Please note that courses will go ahead only if student numbers, staffing, and timetabling allow it. Where a subject is oversubscribed, and there are insufficient numbers or resources to create an extra class, a ballot system may be applied.
The Board of Trustees has again asked to opt into the Ministry of Education donation scheme. Doing so resulted in the ability to waive student fee donations. Kaiapoi High School aims to deliver quality educational courses over and above those that which is funded by the Ministry. It is likely the School will opt into the donation scheme for 2023, however parental contribution for the costs of trips and activities where participation is optional, and/or components not covered by the Government grant, may be requested. We appreciate the financial support our families make to the School.